From Ever changing code
The highest IOS version available for this platform is c870-advsecurityk9-mz.151-4.M6.bin
- Current product in test
show inventory NAME: "878", DESCR: "878 chassis, Hw Serial#: ******604F, Hw Revision: 0x300" PID: CISCO878-K9 , VID: V04 , SN: *******604F
show hardware Cisco IOS Software, C870 Software (C870-ADVSECURITYK9-M), Version 12.4(4)T, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1) Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport Copyright (c) 1986-2005 by Cisco Systems, Inc. Compiled Thu 27-Oct-05 09:42 by ccai ROM: System Bootstrap, Version 12.3(8r)YI4, RELEASE SOFTWARE home-r1 uptime is 38 minutes System returned to ROM by power-on System image file is "flash:c870-advsecurityk9-mz.124-4.T.bin" <-- output omitted --> Cisco 878 (MPC8272) processor (revision 0x300) with 118784K/12288K bytes of memory. Processor board ID ******604F MPC8272 CPU Rev: Part Number 0xC, Mask Number 0x10 4 FastEthernet interfaces 1 ISDN Basic Rate interface 128K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory. 24576K bytes of processor board System flash (Intel Strataflash) Configuration register is 0x2102
DSL support Cisco 878-K9 platform
Digital Signaling Protocol: SHDSL
Cisco 878-K9 platform has build in modem based on ST-Microelectronics 20190 Chipset
- Supports ADSL over basic telephone service with Annex A and Annex B ITU G. 992.1 (ADSL), G.992.3 (ADSL2), and G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
- Supports ADSL over basic telephone service with Annex M (except UK Mask) (extended upstream bandwidth) G.992.3 (ADSL2) and G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
- G.994.1 ITU G.hs
- Support for Reach-extended ADSL2 (G.922.3) Annex L
- Complies with T1.413 ANSI ADSL DMT issue 2
- DSL Forum TR-067
- The chipset does not provide interoperability with carrierless amplitude modulation/phase modulation (CAP)-based ADSL lines
- Annex A and Annex B are supported starting with Cisco IOS Software Release 12.4(4)T.
- Annex M (except UK Mask) is supported starting with the special Cisco IOS Software Release 12.4(11)XJ; and requires the CISCO877-M-K9 or CISCO877W-G-E-M-K9 SKU.
- The ADSL2 standard (ITU G.992.3) adds new features and functions targeted at improving ADSL performance and interoperability. In addition, the standard adds support for new applications, services, and deployment scenarios. Among the changes are improvements in data rate and reach performance, rate adaptation, improved diagnostics, and power enhancements. The conventional ADSL standard (ITU G.992.1) provides downstream data rates of up to 8 Mbps and upstream data rates of up to 0.8 Mbps, and ADSL2 provides higher downstream rates of up to 12 Mbps and upstream data rates of up to 1 Mbps.
- The ADSL2+ standard (ITU G.992.5) doubles the bandwidth used for downstream data transmission, effectively doubling the maximum downstream data rates, and achieving downstream data rates of up to 24 Mbps and upstream data rates of up to 1.5 Mbps.
- Cisco 877-M supports ITU G.992.3 Annex M (except UK Mask), and is optimized for PSD Mask EU-64 M9. Annex M adds capabilities for extended upstream bandwidth above 2.0Mbps. This allows carriers and enterprises to cover applications traditionally served by T1, E1, G.SHDSL without overhauling the transport infrastructure. Exact data rates vary depending on the distance from the DSL access multiplexer (DSLAM), DSLAM type, line card and chipset, and firmware, noise profile, quality of copper, etc. The reach-extended ADSL2 standard (G.992.3)
- Annex L increases performance on loop lengths greater than 16,000 feet from the Central Office.
Configure SHDSL modem to connect to DSLAM over POTS
This may not be possible however ISP ADSL mode is Pure Bridge therefore I am going to explore if this is possible :)
Status of work
There is no even CD (carried detected) however CD led is lightning up but I suspect this is because local loop has been set up.
This output is after changing mode
no mode atm but before rebooting. WAN RJ11 interface is connected to (O2 ISP) ADSL over POTS in a pure bridge mode.
show controller dsl 0 DSL 0 controller UP Local Digital loopback is running SLOT 0: Globespan xDSL controller chipset No frame mode configured Configured Line rate: Auto Line Mode: Two Wire DSL mode: SHDSL Annex A Line Re-activated 1 times after system bootup LOSW Defect alarm: ACTIVE CRC per second alarm: ACTIVE Line termination: CPE Current 15 min CRC: 0 Current 15 min LOSW Defect: 0 Current 15 min ES: 0 Current 15 min SES: 0 Current 15 min UAS: 2013 Previous 15 min CRC: 0 Previous 15 min LOSW Defect: 0 Previous 15 min ES: 0 Previous 15 min SES: 0 Previous 15 min UAS: 0 Line-0 status Chipset Version: 0 Firmware Version: R3.0.1 Modem Status: un checked mode, Status 83 Last Fail Mode: No Failure status:0x0 Line rate: 2312 Kbps Framer Sync Status: In Sync Rcv Clock Status: In the Range Loop Attenuation: 2.3 dB Transmit Power: 13.5 dB Receiver Gain: 936.8420 dB SNR Sampling: 43.8490 dB Dying Gasp: Present
After restart not connected to POTS line.
show controller dsl 0 DSL 0 controller DOWN SLOT 0: Globespan xDSL controller chipset Frame mode: Utopia Configured Line rate: Auto Line Re-activated 0 times after system bootup LOSW Defect alarm: ACTIVE CRC per second alarm: ACTIVE Line termination: CPE Current 15 min CRC: 0 Current 15 min LOSW Defect: 0 Current 15 min ES: 0 Current 15 min SES: 0 Current 15 min UAS: 295 Previous 15 min CRC: 0 Previous 15 min LOSW Defect: 0 Previous 15 min ES: 0 Previous 15 min SES: 0 Previous 15 min UAS: 0 Line-0 status Chipset Version: 0 Firmware Version: R3.0.1 Modem Status: Handshake, Status 10 Last Fail Mode: No Failure status:0x0 DSL firmware download in progress, please wait Dying Gasp: Present
- Cisco 870 Series Integrated Services Routers for Small Offices Overview
- SHDSL - Symmetrical high-speed digital subscriber line Wikipedia
- Configuring CPE Back-to-Back Through G.SHDSL Ports Start point configuration to experiment